Immigration Law


What is the K1 Visa?


A K1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows a U.S. citizen to sponsor a fiancé (engaged but unmarried) to travel to the U.S. to marry a U.S. citizen and then apply for a green card (permanent resident) in the U.S.


Only U.S. citizens are entitled to fiancé/fiancé sponsorship. Permanent residents are not allowed to sponsor fiancés.


The fiance/fiancé sponsorship process goes through the following steps:

  1. Apply for fiancé/fiancé sponsorship to the Immigration Department – The application will be mailed to the Immigration Department.
  2. Notice No. 1 – Notice of fiancé/fiancé sponsorship that has been received by the Immigration Department.
  3. Notice No. 2 – Notification of fiancé/fiancé petition approved or rejected by the Immigration Department.
  4. National Visa Center (NVC) – The Department of Immigration will forward fiancé/fiancé petitions through the NVC.
  5. The National Visa Center to the U.S. Consulate – NVC will send you your application number and forward it to the U.S. Consulate in Vietnam.
  6. Collect documents – Follow the instructions of the Consul.
  7. Physical examination – You will make an appointment for a physical exam and vaccinations.
  8. Consular Interview – You will participate in an interview with a Consulate officer.
  9. Visa issuance – The visa will be issued on your passport and sent back to you within 2 weeks.
  10. Coming to the U.S. – You are required to come to the U.S. within your visa period
  11. Get married – You have 90 days from the date of entry into the U.S. to get married.
  12. Apply for a green card – Once you have your marriage certificate, you need to apply for a change of immigration status.

Hotline for free consultation please call:

US Office: (+1) 713 561-5595

Vietnam Office: (+84) 988 792-023

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *