What is the K1 Visa?
A K1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows a U.S. citizen to sponsor a fiancé (engaged but unmarried) to travel to the U.S. to marry a U.S. citizen and then apply for a green card (permanent resident) in the U.S.
Only U.S. citizens are entitled to fiancé/fiancé sponsorship. Permanent residents are not allowed to sponsor fiancés.
The fiance/fiancé sponsorship process goes through the following steps:
- Apply for fiancé/fiancé sponsorship to the Immigration Department – The application will be mailed to the Immigration Department.
- Notice No. 1 – Notice of fiancé/fiancé sponsorship that has been received by the Immigration Department.
- Notice No. 2 – Notification of fiancé/fiancé petition approved or rejected by the Immigration Department.
- National Visa Center (NVC) – The Department of Immigration will forward fiancé/fiancé petitions through the NVC.
- The National Visa Center to the U.S. Consulate – NVC will send you your application number and forward it to the U.S. Consulate in Vietnam.
- Collect documents – Follow the instructions of the Consul.
- Physical examination – You will make an appointment for a physical exam and vaccinations.
- Consular Interview – You will participate in an interview with a Consulate officer.
- Visa issuance – The visa will be issued on your passport and sent back to you within 2 weeks.
- Coming to the U.S. – You are required to come to the U.S. within your visa period
- Get married – You have 90 days from the date of entry into the U.S. to get married.
- Apply for a green card – Once you have your marriage certificate, you need to apply for a change of immigration status.
Hotline for free consultation please call:
US Office: (+1) 713 561-5595
Vietnam Office: (+84) 988 792-023